Does insurance cover oral appliances for sleep apnea?

This question was asked in Coral Springs, Florida on 12/06/2012.
My wife snores and it ruins my sleep! I have seen things about oral appliances that seem to work. How do I procced to get her treatment by a dentist? Will my insurance cover it?

Doctors Answers (3)

Joseph Lee, DDS, FICOI
Answered on: 12/10/2012

Snoring is caused by the vibration of tissues in the back of the throat. Causes may be from tissue that has lost its tonicity as people age. Another cause may be close proximity of the tissues so they are able to vibrate as air attempts to pass through. Oral appliances are a good way to gently posture the jaw forward and down so the airway opens up. When air is able to pass more freely, snoring is reduced or eliminated and the quality of life for both partners is improved instantly. Oral appliances are also effective with Obstructive Sleep Apnea as an alternative to a CPAP in a lot of instances. An initial consultation appointment should be made with a dentist that is knowledgeable with these types of oral appliances as a thorough evaluation of the jaw joints should be investigated as well before prescribing an oral appliance for a sleep breathing disorder. Some medical insurances may cover oral appliances for Sleep Apnea so an inquiry could be made.

Faryl K. Hart, DDS
Answered on: 12/10/2012

Most medical insurance companies contribute to the cost of an oral appliance, if deemed "medically necessary". In order to find out if your medical insurance contributes,call the member service phone number. The phone number is usually located on the back of the insurance card. To get started with treatment, you could call the office and request a sleep consultation appointment. Dr. Hart offers an initial complimentary sleep consultation. She can help you/wife with screening for signs and symptoms of Sleep Apnea. We will give you/wife information to a sleep center if necessary, to have a sleep study done. The sleep study will determine if the patient has Sleep Apnea.

Jeannine Louise Gingras, MD
Answered on: 12/10/2012

It would be filled under your medical insurance. The answer is DEPENDS. I would call your insurance company to inquire.