How do I get a dental appliance for sleep apnea?

This question was asked in Belle Valley, Pennsylvania on 12/14/2012.
I have sleep apnea and am looking to obtain a dental appliance rather than the CPAP. I have a flexible spending account that I need to use by the end of the year. Is it possible for me to get a dental appliance for sleep apnea? Thank you.

Doctors Answers (4)

Richard J. Schumann Jr., MD
Answered on: 12/20/2012

You can get a sleep study test performed that demonstrated you have mild (5-15 events per hour) or moderate (16-30 events per hour) and find a dentist who specializes in sleep medicine appliance like (MAD) mandibular advancement devices or tongue retaining devices (TRD). These appliance are sometimes partially covered by insurance or a moderate out of pocket expense $ 2000-4500.

Joseph Lee, DDS, FICOI
Answered on: 12/17/2012

If you are in the Mountain View, CA vicinity, please call our dental office.

Jeannine Louise Gingras, MD
Answered on: 12/17/2012

A dental device requires a doctor's prescription You should talk to your sleep specialist who diagnosed your sleep apnea.

Faryl K. Hart, DDS
Answered on: 12/17/2012

The first step is having a diagnosis from a Doctor of Sleep apnea. With a diagnosis/sleep study from a sleep physician or Doctor, you can schedule a free consultation appointment with Dr. Hart. During that appointment you will be able to see the oral appliance and discuss the benefits. If you are ready to proceed, an impression will be taken during the appointment. In 3-4 weeks the appliance will come back from the lab. You will need to schedule an appointment A.S.A.P. in order to met the end of the year flex spending dead line. Please call with any questions.